Friday, May 25, 2012
slightly adapted from two-tarts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 8 tbs (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- juice and zest from 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 apple, peeled and sliced
- 1 tsp sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly butter and flour 8-in cake pan.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking powder.
3. In another bowl, cream the butter and 3/4 cup sugar together until light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat until smooth. Mix in the vanilla and lemon zest. Add in the dry flour mixture and mix until a smooth, thick batter is formed. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared cake pan.
4. Toss the fruit with lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon sugar. Place the fruit on top of the batter in a single layer. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon sugar and bake in the oven until lightly browned around the edges and just set in the middle 30-35 minutes.
5. Remove from oven and allow to cool in the pan for at least 20 minutes.